7.16.2008

Rectal CA Q&A: Part III

It's been a while since I did one of these so here goes...

Kris asked:

How do you react to cancer patients portrayed in the movies and on TV? Was your annoyance at the Real World just because it's, you know, a shitty stupid reality show, or do cancer storylines in other places hit home for you now too? Have you had an experience like Ebert, where the events of the past year have changed the way you viewed something from before?
The short answer to this question is HELL YEAH. You know how when you'd go through major boy drama back in the day and it seemed like every song on the radio was about your situation? Yeah, it's kinda like that. But cancer.

It seems like you just aren't aware of certain things until you're exposed to them on a personal level. For instance, I never noticed pregnant women until I got pregnant myself (and, you know, now with the uncertainty of my lady parts). And I certainly didn't pay much attention to cancer subplots of TV shows, famous people dying, etc.

The most bizarre moment I've had thus far was while watching an episode of Family Guy (Peter's Daughter) of all things. I can't seem to find the clip online, but the transcript goes something like this (from wikiquote.org):
Tom Tucker: Good evening. I'm Tom Tucker with a channel 5 news special report.
Diane Simmons: And I'm Dianne Simmons. A flash flood warning is in effect as rain continues to pound Rhode Island.
Tom Tucker: Let's go to Asian reporter Tricia Takanawa who's [singing in a Japanese-music-type manner] gonna-tell-us-all-about-the-rain.
Tricia Takanawa: Tom, residents all over Quahog have been affected by the heavy rains. Although some are doing their best to ride it out. For example, I'm standing here with 'rides a ten speed everywhere' guy. Sir, why are you riding your ten speed in the rain?
Rides A Ten Speed Everywhere Guy: I don't mind, a little drizzle never hurt anybody. I like riding the ten speed because it's fun, it gives me energy, and it's a great way to stay in shape.
Tricia Takanawa: What do you do for a living?
Rides A Ten Speed Everywhere Guy: I work at accounts receivable at Quahog Insurance, it's not too demanding, the pay is good and it's a great way to stay in shape.
Tricia Takanawa: Well we should wrap this up, you're getting wet.
Rides A Ten Speed Everywhere Guy: Well I'm living life before the cancer I have kills me so I don't mind the rain. The water feels good on my skin, it's cool, refreshing and it's a great way to stay in shape.
Tricia Takanawa: What kind of cancer?
Rides A Ten Speed Everywhere Guy: It's rectal cancer, it's slowly eating away at my lower insides. It's a quick process, both painful and untreatable and it's a great way to stay in shape.
Yeah. Jody and I did the world's biggest doubletake, looked at each other, and were all "Did they just say what I think they said?" It was pretty shocking, but at the same time I don't remember feeling anything other than blank (for lack of a better term).

We've subsequently watched this episode (and scene) a couple of times and it alternately mildly amuses me and makes me mad (um, NOT UNTREATABLE!)...I get the fact that ass cancer is hi-larious, but it's not like it doesn't affect people...just not people that watch Family Guy?

Another example of this cancer filter is what just happened with Tony Snow. Thankfully, I didn't hear about it until after our Saturday houseguests had come and gone...I know Jody had heard of it earlier in the day and was trying to protect me from the news for as long as he could.

It's crazy--He was basically a mouthpiece for the worst administration this country has ever seen and here I was, sobbing uncontrollably from the shock of his passing. I still kinda feel like I've been punched in the chest every time I catch a news story about him.

So yeah, to say that cancer colors your world is an understatement. And I'm really hoping that as time passes, those hues become increasingly dull and unremarkable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok - we both know i have no idea what i am talking about because i can not even begin to understand everything you have been/are going thru. however your post reminded me of an article i just read about a woman who always wanted a daughter and ended up with 2 boys so i thought i'd write in. this woman mentioned the pain of seeing a mom and daughter together lessened over the years until it became more of a "twinge". now granted this is nothing comparable to cancer - but in your words i am hoping the colors dull over time for you.

xoxo...