4.26.2008

Side Effects So Far

  • That cold-sensitivity from the Oxaliplatin started in right away--I could feel it in my finger tips as they swung while I walked out of the onc clinic. I'm also quickly reminded of it every time I unthinkingly drink from a water fountain or wash my hands before letting the water heat up.
  • Sun sensitivity: when they recommended wearing a "wide-brimmed hat" (just when is/was the Kentucky Derby?), I thought they were being overly cautious, but the couple of hours I spent yardsaling during yesterday's overcast afternoon has resulted in a burn across my cheeks and nose the likes of which I haven't seen since my first family trip to Florida as a pre-teen.
  • Other side effects are trying to keep my tubing away from little inquisitive hands and the general uncoolness of having to wear a fanny pack for days at a stretch.

Speaking of which, I get unhooked from this bastard within the hour. Woot.

5 comments:

Ed said...

My wife and I were able to be trained to "de-access" the PowerPort, and this was a major relief. In fact, I did it on my own at least twice. Maybe this is something you could be interested in?

Just a thought, and one more little bit of your new life that you can control.

Sending good thoughts your way!

Anonymous said...

Fanny pack, huh? Word of warning then.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RTxD49qBDvs

See from 1:10 for important info.

Sugarmouth O'Riordan said...

Ed--I'm all about control these days, so I might look into that. Thanks for the tip. :)

Gilles--Thank you, as well, for the tip. I [heart] The [BBC] Office. The Christmas Special? SO BEST!

Anonymous said...

I think we need to rewatch them (the BBC Offices). We've been getting into the U.S. version, but the BBC is our first love. Keith is brilliant.

Sugarmouth O'Riordan said...

That bit with Keith and Tim in the lounge when they're talking about the show "Pig Practice" (or whatever) is one of our favorite scenes.

"I just stayed in and had a biiiiiiiiiig wank."