1.23.2008

I Need a Hobby

Since moving to Madison, I've been asked on a number of occasions what I like to do for fun, in my spare time, etc., and have been embarrassingly stumped by this question.

I spend a good amount of time watching crap TV, surfing the Internets, and occasionally reading, but those hardly count as hobbies. I used to like to go running, until I got all preggo and had a baby that was way too wee too put into a jogging stroller. And now? Jesus, it's pretty much shower and sleep.

But I had a bit of an epiphany while watching the L.A. episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations--roller derby.

Those bitches are hard core, punk as hell, and get to release their aggression by beating the crap out of each other. I could totally justify additional tattoos, piercings, and funky hair colors if I joined the local derby, the Mad Rollin' Dolls.

One teeny, tiny issue, tho: I don't know how to skate, roller or otherwise. And I'm way too old to start tearing ligaments and wrenching knees. Yeah, I'm not that tuf after all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about knitting some kickin' sweaters for Violet's next winter??? or if you are like me, you'd start knitting now for when she fits into a 5T.

Anonymous said...

My cousin has been doing roller derby in LA for several years. I can put you in touch if you're serious. Her description of the sport:

"It's like hockey. But instead of the goal, there's a girl. And instead of the goalie, there's a girl. And instead of a puck, there's a girl."

She's sustained a cracked vertebra in addition to other regular things like cracked ribs and such. But she's still loving it.

Vic said...

I couldn't skate either when I started. And while I haven't gone without injury, I am stronger than I have ever been in my life. It's soooo much fun, so don't let a little detail like skating ability prevent you from trying it out.

Elle Machete

Tricia said...

We went to the local roller derby a year or so ago, and I was the same: plotting out which team I'd join and my nickname, and then the actual derby started and I realized that I wouldn't last 2 minutes. Something about my nervousness about going very fast on hard surfaces surrounded by jostling bodies, also going fast. I had just tried flag football for the first time, and the constant soreness and bruises helped me realize that I'm way too old for contact sports. But kudos to those of you who do it!

I think the what do you do in your spare time question is always tricky - like the interview question where do you see yourself in 5 years - I feel like the expectation is that a few key terms (knitting, running, movies) becomes personality defining and will determine if you have something in common with the asker. Too much pressure. I say, defy the hobbies!

Knitting, cooking, and jewelry-making are nice, too, and I think ebay-ing and blogging/writing count as hobbies. :)

Sugarmouth O'Riordan said...

Hey Vic/Elle--Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I should shoot for learning how to skate once I'm solidly back on my feet with the goal of trying out for 2009. Sure, I'll be turning 35 that year, but who's counting? ;)

Tricia--I am *so* with you re: going fast on hard surfaces. See: why I wasn't chomping at the bit to learn how to snowboard. I think you've got a window in your youth to learn to do those things before fear and lack of coordination of adulthood take over.

I hated the "where do you see yourself in five years question" even before I got cancer. But now, if I were to ever be asked it again...let's just say that the interviewer would feel pretty bad for asking. I also probably wouldn't get the job, but then I'm pretty much fine with being Mom & Wife these days. Lame, maybe, but I'm kinda past caring. ;)